Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Meditations on Sweet Cream of Tomato Soup




I am making Sweet Cream of Tomato Soup today.  I have made countless batches of it over the 30 years that I have had a vegetable garden.  I love the feel of the weighty red globes of tomatoes that I have gathered from my garden waiting to be made into soup from the plants I nurtured all summer long.  And of course there is the heavenly smell that fills the kitchen as it simmers in my big soup kettle on the stove. 

What I never really consciously thought about were the sounds that accompany this kitchen ritual.  There is a gentle hum this time of the year as the fullness of summer is preparing to slip away.  The crickets are singing quietly in the grass outside, accompanied by the sweet calls of goldfinches at the feeder.  The chatter of the hummingbirds along with the whirring of their little wings also drifts in through my kitchen window.  

A gentle breeze ruffles the leaves on the big maple tree near the lake and sends little waves lapping on the shore.  In the distance I can hear the laughter of children playing at the beach down the road.  All of this settles in my soul like a balm to my spirit as I go through the motions of this ritual that is so much a part of my life. 

As I prepare the ingredients, my thoughts wander, and I see my children at various ages laughing and splashing in the lake or running barefoot in and out of the kitchen with their friends for a summer treat of popsicles or a quick meal, only to race out again and play until dark.

The house is quiet now as I reflect on these things.  My kids are all grown and have moved on to their own lives, but the ritual remains, and I smile at the memories and the gentle hum of late summer that floats through my windows.


This recipe is from Farm House Cookbook by Susan Herrmann Loomis
Over the years I have eliminated the milk because it’s just so darn good all by itself!  I freeze it in small containers to eat during the winter.  Then I get to enjoy Meditations on Tomato Soup all over again.

Sweet Cream of Tomato Soup

3 medium onions, peeled and chopped
¼ cup water
½ bunch celery (about 6 ribs), trimmed and chopped
6 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes, quartered
2 tablespoons coarse (kosher) salt
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk

1.  Place onions and water in a large soup pot over medium heat, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook, until the onions have softened.  Stir frequently to keep from browning.
2.  Add the celery, tomatoes and salt to the onions, stir, and raise the heat to medium.  Cook, covered, until the tomatoes are tender, about 1 hour.  Taste and add enough sugar to smooth out the flavor.  Cook another 5 minutes.
3.  In a small bowl mix together the butter and the flour until thoroughly combined.
4.  Strain the soup, discarding the solids.  Return the soup to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Stir 1 cup of the soup into the flour and butter mixture, whisking until there are no lumps; then whisk that mixture into the soup.  Lower the heat and gently cook, stirring frequently, until the soup has the consistency of a medium-thick gravy.  Let it come just to the boiling point, but do not boil.
5.  Heat the milk in another small saucepan over medium heat until it is almost at the boiling point.  Slowly add the milk to the soup (do not let the soup boil, or it may curdle).  Stir well, and serve.

12 cups (8 to 10 servings)

Note: The soup base (through step 4) may be canned or frozen.  After thawing (if necessary) and reheating, add 1 cup hot milk to each 2 cups of soup base, as described in step 5.




No comments:

Post a Comment