Friday, August 21, 2015

It's all just a pile of feathers....no matter how loud you scream.

I often wonder why humans seem to think it’s a good idea to mess around in the world of the wild animals.   We rant and rave, protect and destroy while they just  go about the business of being animals.  They eat and are eaten and don’t seem to make much of a fuss about it either way.  They accept life and get on with it, either adapting or dying. 

It all seems to ebb and flow more gracefully out in the country, or perhaps I just tell myself that.  Some of them inevitably wind up as road kill or starve during harsh winters and we find it easier to accept because we know that the forests and fields are their natural habitat.  I like to assume that many of them will live out their happy animal lives tucked away in their cozy dens at night and frolicking in the sunny meadows by day.  It’s a nicely vague picture that I have been comfortable with .....until lately.

Their storybook existence becomes a tale fraught with peril as the cities and suburbs encroach more and more into their natural habitats.  When wild animals and humans confront each other in an urban environment, humans often react by becoming worried, fearful, irritated and often angry about having to share their small spaces with wildlife and the problems that this can create.  Rarely, it seems, are creative solutions found for peaceful cohabitation.

When I was a child living in the suburbs, there were no deer, coyotes, wild turkeys and few raccoons.  Now they are everywhere and fighting to survive. 

This past spring, while visiting at the home of a friend who lives in a nearby suburb, I was startled to hear what sounded like an extremely loud gunshot.  A device hidden up in the trees on her property and been automatically tripped by a small group of deer that wandered underneath it.  It shot out a huge net in an attempt to catch one or two of them.  In my naivety, I assumed that it was a catch and release program.  Instead, these nets have been set up by the village to catch the deer in order to kill and eliminate them.  Fortunately, this time it missed.  Seeing the ensuing struggle, had one been caught, would have done me in. The people in this upscale community are upset because the deer eat their fancy flower gardens.  I was so shaken by her casual mention of what annoying pests the deer are, that it brought me to tears and I had to leave. 

My neighbor has chickens....but probably not for long.  I always thought having chickens in the city would be a cool thing, but it creates big problems if they are allowed to roam free.  All of the wild animals that have been forced into closely co-existing with humans need to eat and chickens are a very tempting main course.   Since I have reported him for illegally killing wildlife and using a firearm in the city….his days of being a chicken farmer are most likely limited.  He doesn’t know this yet, and maybe he never will.  It depends on how much the city cares about enforcing their rules.  I just got sick and tired of witnessing his insensitive animal extermination policies.  It seems to be out of my hands now.

I am not completely heartless where my neighbor is concerned.  I can see that he takes very good care of his chickens and perhaps even feels great affection for them.  Often their are young people that come and hang around to observe and care for them.  Maybe it’s not any different out in the country on the farms where I buy my eggs.  Perhaps the farmers have their guns ready and waiting by the door.  I wonder if  I would be running down the road with my shotgun chasing some poor starving animal just trying to feed it’s family after it snatched one of my chicken friends.  

Yesterday I heard my neighbor screaming as if someone had cut off his arm.  It seems that I have rehabilitated my fox friend to the point where she can take very good care of herself.  She entered his yard in broad daylight, snatched one of his chickens right in front of him and ran off with it despite his agonizingly loud protestations. 

Nothing left but a pile of feathers.












My little fox friend let me know that she can take care of herself now.

I just hope she's good at dodging bullets.

No comments:

Post a Comment