Monday, March 16, 2015

The Guitarist and an Altered Universe

It was on September 21st, the night of the fall equinox, a warm, starry evening with a hint of crispness in the air that I stepped into an alternate universe….never to return.  My life at age 68 was pleasant and predictable, filled with family gatherings and my creative hobbies at a little cottage on a lake I have loved all of my life.  I never went to parties being content to spend much of my time when I wasn’t with family, by myself. 

Even though I find large gatherings draining, I let my daughter talk me into attending a party with her, given by an acquaintance of ours.  I was told a few old friends I hadn’t seen in years might be there and figured it wouldn’t hurt to stop by briefly.  I felt a moment of panic as we entered the beautiful home overflowing with music, lots of people and tables of refreshments and briefly longed for the peaceful quiet of my little cottage, but forged ahead behind my daughter as we made our way to say hello to the hostess.

We migrated soon to another room, and as I wandered through the crowd my eyes met those of The Guitarist.  We had dated casually a few times 50 years ago and I had not seen him since, but there, in that moment…….time collapsed.  The rest of the room fell away and we talked for many hours into the night.  We were both reluctant to say goodbye, and I remember feeling as I walked out the door, that my life would never be the same.   I knew that I had somehow slipped into an alternate universe.

The Guitarist

The Guitarist and I have talked about this many times since that evening, and we have come to the conclusion that miracles do happen, but that you must be willing to be authentic to experience them.  Although we have both been bruised and battered by life in different ways, we have made peace with it.  I think that the ultimate wisdom of age is that you must let go of the ego to experience the true and timeless beauty that lies within another.  It is difficult or impossible when you are young and full of yourself.  What we experienced in that moment was a rare soul connection, an alignment of the stars that opened a portal through which we had the courage to step.

It took me another 3 months to find the strength to walk out of my former life and the expectations of others as to my role in theirs.  In the end, I didn’t try to explain because I knew I couldn’t.  I just left.  I left behind my beloved cottage on the lake and the approval of some of my grown children and moved into a small home in the suburbs where The Guitarist lives.  We are looking for a new place to move that we can call our own out in the country where we can look at the stars and contemplate the mysteries of the universe. 

Neither of us have regretted this choice for a moment, even though it isn’t always easy for me to let go of feeling responsible for the happiness of those I love who don’t understand my life.  Our lives are rich with the love of music, laughter, good conversation, long walks, cooking great food together and of course love.  I am hoping that in time, those that are uncomfortable with my choices will come to see that it was the best for me.  Perhaps somewhere down the road they will look back and remember that I showed them how life can become magical even when you least expect it and that adding more love to your life does not subtract it from theirs.

Many years ago, I played the piano as a young girl.  I recently purchased a keyboard, having had to leave my piano behind, and The Guitarist and I have been practicing a lovely Irish Ballad.  It’s called “The Town I Loved So Well” and we have recorded it here for your listening pleasure.  It is our first recording and although not perfect....so very much fun!  We hope you enjoy it and that you always believe in the magic of love.

                                         Click on the link below and then on the arrow to play.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Holly, your article is so special and when I listened to your ballad it put me over the top! I actually cried with happiness for you. Thank you once again for sharing. BTW, The Guitarist will be the name of a new painting from you, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your piece speaks so gently - to my heart. Awesome recording and even more awesome story. I connect with this story in so many ways. I am taken away in the paragraph where your eyes met. I sought out my high school/college sweetheart 16 years ago that first eyes on each other was very similar in feeling. I have never regretted a minute of our reconnection, peddling as fast as we can to make up for lost time of doing OTHER life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pattie! I know the feeling of peddling as fast as we can to make up for lost time. I feel so fortunate to have found him once again.

      Delete
  3. Holly, I cannot imagine how come it's taken me this long to come across this story - how fabulous for you! I am literally beaming from ear to ear and my heart is filled with joy for you! Congratulations seems unnecessary, but it's all I've got - I hope the two of you continue to make wonderful music together for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete